There are many types and causes of headaches. Regardless of the cause, if you have a headache, you want it to end. Fast!
Tension headaches are the most common type of headache.
- Consistent without throbbing.
- Mild to moderate.
- On both sides of the head (bilateral).
- Worse during routine activities (such as bending over or walking upstairs) (toronto headaches chiro).
Migraines are the second most common type of primary headaches.
- Pounding or throbbing pain.
- Pain that lasts four hours to three days.
- Sensitivity to light, noise or odors.
- Stomach upset (neck pain headache toronto)
Cluster headaches are the most severe type of primary headache. Cluster headaches come in a group or cluster, usually in the spring or fall. They occur one to eight times per day during a cluster period, which may last two weeks to three months. The headaches may disappear completely (go into remission) for months or years, only to recur later.
- Intense with a burning or stabbing sensation.
- Located behind one of your eyes or in the eye region, without changing sides.
- Throbbing or constant.
New daily persistent headaches
New daily persistent headaches (NDPH) come on suddenly and last for more than three months. They typically occur in people who weren’t having frequent headaches before. The pain of NDPH is:
- Constant and persistent without easing up.
- Located on both sides of the head.
- Not responsive to medications.
Headaches may be common, but they’re not normal. Every headache has a cause. In our office, we perform a through physical exam to determine what kind of headaches you have and treat it accordingly.